Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Two Weeks

Two Weeks: My experience as an intern




Two weeks. It is such a short span of time in the grand scheme of things. A lot can happen in two weeks, though. For me, two weeks spent in Good Hope, GA had a dramatic impact. As a student, learning is a way of life and often becomes humdrum. In the honeymoon phase of a career as a student, you’re amazed at the introduction of new ideas and concepts and you’re excited to know that those few years will change your life. However, it doesn’t take long for complacency to set in. You soon forget that even a single class has the power to change your life’s course. That is where I was when I left out to intern for Huff Recording Studios. I knew the opportunity of working in a recording studio would be exciting, but my faith in any sort of long term impact had waned. Jesus’ words to a boat full of frightened fisherman could have been directed at me, “Oh you of little faith.”

Day one on the job seemed to confirm my disbelief, when I sat for eight hours wondering, “What in the heck am I doing here? I have no place in a recording studio.” What I didn’t know was that my boss, David Huff, didn’t need someone that was a fixture at a recording studio. He needed an administrator; someone that was comfortable with making the phone calls and orchestrating the day to day business. Lucky for him, I fit that bill. Thus, from day two forward, a great growing process began.

One week prior to my arrival, David’s MacBook Pro had been stolen from his car while vacationing in San Francisco. Everything was a total loss. Nothing had been backed up. In the midst of mixing two albums, tracking another, and playing out, finding the time to pick up the pieces was impossible for David. This recovery process became my main project during my time as an intern for Huff Recording Studios. Everything from album artwork to song lyrics were locked up in a shiny silver case under some social deviant’s arm 2,600 miles away. Every day brought on a new challenge, as slowly more things were recalled that had been on the laptop.

A new laptop was purchased shortly and the rebuilding process began. I took what I knew about a Mac and applied it, but there was still a lot I didn’t know. I set out to learn everything I could to help me make the best of the situation. I read articles, downloaded third-party software (don’t tell Steve Jobs), watched tutorials, and even attended a seminar at the Mac store in Atlanta. I managed pretty well and got very familiar with the Mac interface. I made a lot of phone calls to recover graphics, photos, passwords, and other files. Fortunate for me, David finally found all of the software that he had on the last one. It would have been very costly to replace all of it.

When I wasn’t working on the laptop project, I ran errands, changed light bulbs, lent my ears to the mixing process, and offered ideas and opinions for David’s personal music career and that of his studio and record label. I am happy to report that he like my ideas and has asked me to plan the release of his next album.

During the mixing process, I felt so inadequate to offer my opinions to someone who has been in the business for 50 plus years, yet I was honored that he asked. I was even more blown away when he complimented my ‘ear’ to a friend in the business. It was so educational to not only watch the entire mixing and mastering process happen from one day to the next, but to be a part of it as well.
We became fast friends!



I learned so much about the industry and the recording studio, but above all I learned a lot about myself. I learned that I am capable of exceeding expectations of others and myself. I learned that believing in myself is half the battle. I learned that I didn’t make the wrong decision to attend Hocking College for an associate’s degree, after I had received a bachelor’s degree from Ohio University. And I learned that approaching any task with a servant’s attitude and a heart to please almost always guarantees success. And all of it I learned in just two weeks.

This song summarizes the experience well.  Headed in the Right Direction
 
Note: I used the 'Georgia' font, since I talked about Georgia. I thought you might appreciate that. ;~)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment